Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click and make a purchase.
Ever dreamed of running an online store? Or want to take your hobby to the next level and see if you can make any money from it? Do people always ask you for advice on the same thing or ask for your help with something?
Perhaps there is a side hustle just waiting to be found, lurking under the surface.
But how do you narrow down all the choices out there into something you’d actually like to try?
Any side hustle you choose to start will be personal to you. It will fit in with your goals, your lifestyle, your experiences.
Let’s look at my side hustle journey so far.
- I started freelancing for family and friends, running PPC campaigns and making SEO suggestions to their websites. ( Don’t worry, you don’t need to know what that means). This side hustle became my main job.
- Then in 2017, I wanted to find an additional income that wasn’t dependent on how many hours I worked, so I started my second side hustle running my own Amazon FBA store.
- In 2018 I started blogging as I wanted to share all that I had learned and read over the past couple of years.
These side hustles evolved along with my interests and along with my life. When hours became limited I looked for income elsewhere.
So how do you go about finding your side hustle?
Answer the following questions to find out where you should look for a side hustle;
- What is the main reason you are wanting to start a side hustle?
- Is it for extra money?
- If you have spare time and some experience you can freelance as a side hustle, such as web designer, dog walker, copywriter, marketing consultant, window cleaner, pamphlet dropper or accountant.
- If you have access to some cash you could set up an eCommerce store and run this alongside your main job.
- Is it to share a passion or knowledge you have with others?
- Perhaps creating a course, podcast or blog may help you share your passion with others.
- Is it to find work that fits in with your lifestyle?
- Perhaps you want to travel, some freelance work can be done remotely so you can be anywhere in the world.
- If you have a family maybe you need work to fit in with your partner’s work commitments. Work that can be carried out in the evenings and weekends or when your little ones have a nap.
- Is it to bring change in your life?
- This opens up the possibilities to all side hustles.
- How many hours a week/month do you want to spend on this?
- What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
- Is a side hustle a back-up for your main job? Whether out of fear of losing your job or out of necessity for extra money.
Some examples of real-life side hustles.
- I know a graphic designer that started a photography side hustle from his love of photography and the necessity of earning extra cash for a deposit on a home for his family.
- A mum I know started going to Zumba classes after having her baby. She enjoyed it so much that she trained and signup up to run Zumba classes of her own alongside her main job. As her child became older she found her work life didn’t suit the family life she wanted. She switched to run more Zumba classes in the evenings when her child was asleep and quit her main job. With no need for child care, her income was barely affected.
- 2 mums at the local school are artists and wanted to create an income to fit in with school life. One started her own after school club and holiday club. The other started a mural business in people’s homes where she could work whilst the children were at school and not take on any work in the holidays.
The last example is a great illustration of how diverse side hustles can be. These 2 seemingly similar mums looking for a solution to the same problem, found 2 very different solutions based on their interests, wants and needs.
Choosing which side hustle to start is a journey in itself. To some, it is a short journey where they already have a good idea of what they want to do. For others, it will seem difficult and full of obstacles. But remember only you can decide what will work for you.
Now you have some answers to what you are looking for in a side hustle, download our 100 side hustle business ideas to see if anything sparks your interest.